Friday, March 6, 2009

Our garden

It's beginning to warm up around here so I thought I would share some photos I took last summer around our yard.
We have the most beautiful sunflowers growing every year. They started growing when my grandmother lived in this house and had a bird feeder on the back porch with sunflower seeds. They're not as big as the common sunflowers you see therefore they never get droopy and topple over from the weight of their head like most do. This also makes them ideal for cutting to put in floral arrangments (which Josh often does)

The sunflowers have been cross-pollenated so many times we are lucky to have a variety of sunflowers...it never ceases to amaze. These photos don't even reflect the vibrant red coloring in the flower petals. And look at this little white breed that showed up for the first time last summer!
Josh knows I like simplicity so he picked this single flower for me. We had some odd looking Dahlias come up but I really loved the strangeness of them. If you click on the photo to enlarge you can see what an abnormal looking Dahlia it is.
Every year we have one or two frogs that come to live in our little ponds with the goldfish
A beautiful tomato ripening in our garden. I'll have to do another post about the vegetable garden because I have plenty more pictures to share...

No comments: